I met Rachel and Susie from Allison & Busby (UK publishers) at the train station, and drove us all to work, luckily without driving off the road or anything else similarly embarrassing. Both ladies were absolutely LOVELY, and I really enjoyed spending an evening with them!
During the Q&A, Rachel talked about everything: her publishing process, book covers, character names, vampires, Twilight comparisons (one of my questions, if you didn't guess!), and the series in general.
- The Morganville series is 9 books so far. The main storyline wraps up in book 6 (Carpe Corpus), and books 7-9 will be stand alone stories. She's also hoping they ask her to carry on writing them.
- She still has a day job! Though she has left once, but they asked her to go back. That's where her special pen with her name on it came from - it was a leaving present.
- She briefly talked about her short story in the upcoming anthology The Eternal Kiss, which is being published in the US in July.
- She loves England!
- Oliver is loosely based at a guy she saw at a local coffee shop, who was a bit of a mystery.
- She much prefers the UK covers of the Morganville books, and has no say in any of the designs.
- She's a Twilight fan!
- The idea to write a YA series about vampires wasn't her idea, she was approached with it.
- She writes under a few different names, all of which I'll be sure to remember soon... (Julie Fortune was one of them).
- She loves her YA audience, and said she's had an amazing response from her readers.
- Her favourite Morganville character is... can you guess? Shane! She said she has a good excuse though: she writes from Claire's POV, and Claire loves him, so she does too.
- Even Rachel doesn't own a copy of the Immortal anthology, as they had problems with the distribution, and she couldn't get hold of one. It's being reprinted in the US at some point, with a different cover.
I'd like to say a HUGE thanks to both Rachel and her UK publishers, Allison & Busby, for making this a brilliant night!